Time for You
A little self-care can help you feel less overwhelmed at the busy end of the year
The end of the year is a stressful time for many of us. Which of these makes the tension levels in your body rise?
- You're racing to complete projects at work while also planning for the coming year. Do extra meetings and reporting hit your pressure points?
- You're excited for the festive season but there are lots of social events, the cost of giving gifts, and perhaps the thought of seeing difficult relatives... Sound familiar?
- You're planning a holiday amidst all of your other end-of-year commitments and trying to remember why?
Gentle, mindful Awareness Through Movement classes help you to let go of muscular tension, use your breath to manage stress, feel more grounded, and give you a quiet moment to find your calm place.
My small group Awareness Through Movement classes guarantee individual attention. Classes are open to adults 18 years and older who are able to move without assistance. Please contact me (Judith) if you have a condition that affects your ability to move around, if you're unsure that floor classes are suitable for you, or if you want to start after term commences. (See below for issues that require you to see a doctor before starting Awareness Through Movement classes.)
Term 4 (8-week series):
Monday mornings: 14th October to 2nd December 2019
Time: 9:30 am to 10:30 am
Tuesday evenings: 15th October to 3rd December 2019
Time: 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm
(Class running time approx. 45 min with 10 min discussion/question time.)
Location: Held at St Hilda's Church Parish Hall, 15 View Street, North Perth WA 6006
(Hall at rear of the church & garden)
Cost: Adults $160 ($120 unwaged, retirees, & students 18 years & older)
(Book by Monday 30th September 2019 and save $10.)
Drop-ins not available – please contact Judith if wanting to start after term commences or if unable to attend the whole term.
Bookings essential at TryBooking:
If booking button doesn't open automatically, type or copy and paste url into your browser: https://www.trybooking.com/BFLSW
Where to find us:
Parking: Free street parking in the vicinity (please check street signs for time limits) | Public transport: A short walk from Fitzgerald St bus routes
Before starting Awareness Through Movement classes...
If you have back pain, please make sure your pain isn't something serious. Though rare, several issues cause back pain and require you to see a doctor. You should see a doctor if you have:
* Numbness or tingling
* Severe pain that does not improve with rest
* Pain after a fall or injury
* Pain plus any of these problems: trouble urinating; weakness; numbness in your legs; fever; and/or weight loss when not on a diet
In Term 3, which is drawing to a close, we explored helpful habits of posture and movement for our back health
About Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement classes
In Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement classes you'll experience a type of movement education that doesn't rely on stretching or using muscular effort. Instead, each lesson will stimulate your brain with a blend of gentle, unusual movement sequences, and guided attention to the connections between parts and your sense of your whole self. This movement-based mind-body practice will help you:
- Move more easily and comfortably
- Improve your breathing, posture, coordination, and flexibility for daily activities
- Re-educate your body to move less painfully
- Experience stillness and enhanced awareness
allowing you to become more active and stay fit.
The only prerequisites are being:
- 18 years or older, and
- able to safely move unassisted including get down to lie on a mat on the floor, and up again (please contact Judith if you have a condition that affects your ability to move around, or if unsure that floor classes are suitable for you)
Wear modest clothing that lets you move freely. You may be lying on your back with your legs in the air, so leggings or similar are recommended. Lessons can be done barefoot or wearing grip/non-slip socks - yoga socks with toes and grippers are ideal to give you the barefoot feeling while preventing slipping. This is not aerobic or strength-based exercise so dress in layers for adjusting to changes in temperature.
Bring 3 towels (to fold into firm headrest) and an exercise mat or similar. (If continuing classes, a mat wider and thicker than a standard yoga mat is recommended e.g., 80–100 cm wide & 1.5–3 cm thick mat made of NBR foam or premium high density foam.)