Small Group Awareness Through Movement Classes
Where to find us:
Parking: Free street parking in the vicinity (please check street signs for time limits) | Public transport: A short walk from Fitzgerald St bus routes
Before starting Awareness Through Movement classes...
If you have back pain, please make sure your pain isn't something serious. Though rare, several issues cause back pain and require you to see a doctor.
You should see a doctor if you have:
* Numbness or tingling
* Severe pain that does not improve with rest
* Pain after a fall or injury
* Pain plus any of these problems: trouble urinating; weakness; numbness in your legs; fever; and/or weight loss when not on a diet
About Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement classes
Awareness Through Movement classes don't rely on stretching or using muscular effort. Instead, each lesson stimulates your brain with a blend of gentle, unusual movement sequences, and guided attention to the connections between parts and your sense of your whole self.
This movement-based mind-body practice will help you:
- Move more easily and comfortably
- Improve your breathing, posture, coordination, and flexibility for daily activities
- Re-educate your body to move less painfully
- Experience stillness and enhanced awareness
Regular practice can help you to become more active and stay fit.
The only prerequisites are being:
- 18 years or older, and
- able to safely move unassisted including get down to lie on a mat on the floor, and up again (please contact me (Judith) if you have a condition that affects your ability to move around, or if unsure that floor classes are suitable for you)
Wear modest clothing that lets you move freely. You may be lying on your back with your legs in the air, so leggings or similar are recommended. Lessons can be done barefoot or wearing grip/non-slip socks - yoga socks with toes and grippers are ideal to give you the barefoot feeling while preventing slipping. This is not aerobic or strength-based exercise so dress in layers for adjusting to changes in temperature.
Bring 3 towels (to fold into firm headrest) and an exercise mat or similar. (If continuing classes, a mat wider and thicker than a standard yoga mat is recommended e.g., 80–100 cm wide & 1.5–3 cm thick mat made of NBR foam or premium high density foam.)
What to expect in group classes
Term 1 2020 – Getting Back to Basics
We started the New Year with a series of classic Awareness Through Movement lessons. For newcomers, these lessons provided building blocks for a level of effortlessness, efficiency, and ease in everyday movement. For my regular clients, these lessons offered a new or deeper insight into their habits of movement and posture. Some discovered new ways of doing, new possibilities that they could carry with them.